WHAT IS FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE?
Functional medicine addresses the underlying causes of disease, using a systems-oriented approach and engaging both patient and practitioner in a therapeutic partnership. It is an evolution in the practice of medicine that better addresses the healthcare needs of the 21st century.
By shifting the traditional disease-centered focus of medical practice to a more patient-centered approach, functional medicine addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms.
At Genesis Health and Wellness, we spend time with our patients, listening to your histories and looking at the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease. In this way, functional medicine supports the unique expression of health and vitality for each individual.
Why Do We Need Functional Medicine?
- A sharp increase in the number of people who suffer from complex, chronic diseases, such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, mental illness, and autoimmune disorders like rheumatoid arthritis is a strong concern for 21st century medical practitioners.
- Currently, most physicians deal with acute care situations. Acute care focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of trauma or illness that is of short duration. These conditions require urgent care, such as appendicitis or a broken leg.
- Unfortunately, this acute-care approach does not take in account how to prevent and treat illness, complex and chronic diseases.
- There’s a huge gap between research and the way doctors practice. The gap between emerging research in basic sciences and integration into medical practice is enormous—as long as 50 years— particularly in the area of complex, chronic illness.
- Most physicians are not adequately trained to look for the underlying causes of illness, complex and chronic disease. Unfortunately most physicians are not prepared to apply complimentary therapies– such as nutrition, diet, and exercise– to both treat and prevent these illnesses. Functional medicine seeks to encourage ongoing wellness in their patients.
How is Functional Medicine Different?
Functional medicine involves understanding how the illness came about, how to prevent, or treat complex, chronic disease.
Functional medicine includes:
- Patient-centered care: The focus of functional medicine is on patient-centered care, promoting overall health as positive, ongoing wellness. Optimal health is not just the absence of disease.
- An integrative, science-based healthcare approach: Functional medicine practitioners consider the complex interactions in a patient’s history, physiology, and lifestyle that can lead to illness. The unique genetic makeup of each patient is considered, along with both internal (mind, body and spirit) and external (physical and social environment) factors that affect the whole person.
- Integrating best medical practices: Functional medicine integrates traditional Western medical practices with complementary medicine, creating a focus on prevention. Nutrition, diet and exercise; use of the latest laboratory testing and other diagnostic techniques, prescribed combinations of botanical medicines, supplements, therapeutic diets, detoxification programs and stress-management techniques are all tools of the functional medicine practitioner.
We Invite You to Experience Functional Medicine at Genesis Health and Wellness.
Dr. Tiffani Fries, of Genesis Health and Wellness has always been about helping Holladay, Utah and Salt Lake Valley residents reach optimal wellness through Functional Medicine. At the Genesis Health and Wellness in Holladay, UT, we believe that the pursuit of optimal wellness includes addressing all components of overall health.
We believe pursuing wellness is an active process of making choices toward a more healthy existence.We strive for objectivity in overall nutrition and healthcare. We help Holladay residents reach optimum health, so they can reach their fullest potential in life.
Not feeling your best? No energy? Food sensitivities? Anxious? Discouraged?
We’ll help you get to the bottom of what’s going on. Bring us your latest blood test results, we’ll provide you with a FREE evaluation. (If you haven’t had a blood test for a while, let us know. We can set you up for all the tests you may need.)
When you come in for your evaluation, we’ll show you how your results compare to “normal” clinical ranges and what healthy ranges really are. We’ll review all of your symptoms, to make sure the right testing was done in the past and what we recommend for you in the future.
We’ll help you find natural, drug-free solutions! We truly offer the most complete, whole body, wellness program in the Salt Lake Valley area.
You’ve tried ALL the latest diets.You lose weight for a time, then the weight loss stops or climbs right back on. Isn’t it time for you to find out why you aren’t losing weight permanently? We can help!
We’ll show you how to get your body in FAT BURNING MODE. We have easy and effective tools to take stock of what you are putting in your mouth, the activities you are doing and how much sleep and exercise you are getting.
We set you up on a program that will do all of this for you. All you do is enter your information, including what you eat and do every day, and press a button. Then, you’ll be able to see what’s going to work for you, and success! You’ll be losing weight!
Are you taking thyroid medications but your medications just don’t seem to be doing their job? Are you worried they may have unsafe side effects? Do you have symptoms of a sluggish thyroid, but are being told over and over your blood tests are normal?
You may not be getting the whole story. Sometimes, even small variations in tests for thyroid malfunctions can make a huge difference. Maybe you are only being tested for TSH. It is important to run other tests; T3 uptake, T4, T7 and potentially Reverse T3, thyroid immunoglobins.
Other conditions can influence how your thyroid is working. We can order heavy metal analysis, iodine levels, and lifestyle evaluations. We can explain what natural alternatives may be right for you to manage and correct thyroid disease. Some of these alternatives may include vitamins, enzymes, herbal remedies and diet modification. Ask us to order all the tests you may need, evaluate them and manage your thyroid condition completely and naturally.
Diabetes Prevention and Management
Diabetes is the fastest growing disease in every age group. It is a silent, modern epidemic. Twenty-eight million Americans are living with some form of diabetes, and another 5 million are considered to be diabetic without their knowing it. It’s estimated that 1 in 3 children will develop diabetes.
This is tragic! Most people may be able to either prevent or manage diabetes with awareness, diet and exercise. Diabetes, a metabolic disorder, results in elevated levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. Left unmanaged, this elevated blood sugar can damage small blood vessels and affect every system in your body.
Long term side effect of unmanaged diabetes can include heart disease, kidney disease and even blindness. But, two of the most effective tools to combat the devastating effects of diabetes include proper diet and regular exercise. We can help you know what lifestyle changes you need to make to manage and even reverse diabetes.
Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue
A Drug-Free (Natural) Approach in Holladay, Utah
What causes Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? It’s different for every individual. A variety of components can contribute to this complex syndrome. Some of these include virus, weakened immune functions, food allergies, drugs, depression, neurological and structural imbalance, hormone dysfunctions, toxicity–in multiple combinations.
Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) are as complex as the individuals they affect. Treatments need to address all of these variables differently for each person. We believe in order to address Fibromyalgia and CFS, proper testing is needed. This testing will identify major and minor key elements of imbalance and deficiency, environmental toxicities, stress and physical structure, abnormal organ functions, digestive disorders, lifestyle, diet and nutritional deficiencies. We can help put you back on the road to health
Ready to get started? Get in touch today for a free consultation.